Introduction to the Theory of Computation
- Automata and Languages
Mathematical models of computation
- Computability Theory
Problems CAN and CANNOT be solved by computers
- Complexity Theory
Why some problems are hard but some are easy?
Why taking this course?
From authors of the textbook
- Theoretical CS has some fancy/big ideas
- Relevant to practice (e.g., modern cryptography)
- Abstract way of thinking the computers. Help you
to design more beautiful ones
Chapter 0 (
Once every two weeks. Please write your homework/reports in English and do NOT submit lately. See
FAQ about how to submit your
Weights of three exams will be decided at the end of
(Sample exam questions: 1,
- Midterm 1: November 1 (week 6)
- Midterm 2: December 6 (week 11)
- Final: Final: January 10 (week 16) Discussion: 12pm, January ??, room 102
For midterms, discussions will be in the following week.
30% homework, 70% Exam. (tentative)
Some (usually 10%) may fail if they don't work hard.