Introduction to the Theory of Computation
- Automata and Languages
Mathematical models of computation
- Computability Theory
Problems CAN and CANNOT be solved by computers
- Complexity Theory
Why some problems are hard but some are easy ?
Why taking this course?
Why you are forced to study this theoretical and maybe
From authors of the textbook
- Theoretical CS has some fancy/big ideas
- Relevant to practice (e.g., modern cryptography)
- Abstract way of thinking the computers. Help you
to design more beautiful ones
Once every two weeks. Please write your homework/reports in English.
For late homework, the score will be exponentially decreased. See
FAQ about how to submit your
Weights of three exams will be decided in the end of
(Sample exam questions: 1,
- Midterm 1: October 22 (week 7)
- Midterm 2: December 3 (week 13)
- Final: Final: January 7 (week 18) Discussion: ??, ??, room ??
For midterms, discussions will be in the following week.
30% homework, 70% Exam. (tentative)
Some (usually 10%) may fail if they don't work hard.